Medical Director, Phlebotomy and Pre-Analytical Services
Department of Pathology
The University of Chicago
MC 0004, Room TW-010
5841 S. Maryland Ave.
Chicago, IL 60637
Dr. Leung received his B.Sc. and Ph.D. from the Department of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry at Simon Fraser University, where he studied the photochemistry and reduction-oxidation chemistry of nucleic acids. He then studied RNA structural biology using phage-display technology and crystallography as a postdoctoral fellow for three years in the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology at the University of Chicago. He completed the ComACC accredited clinical chemistry postdoctoral fellow at the University of Chicago Medicine, under the directorship of Dr. Jerry Yeo.
Dr. Leung is a board-certified clinical chemist (DABCC) with broad expertise in clinical chemistry, endocrinology testing, therapeutic drug monitoring, toxicology, clinical pharmacogenetics, molecular testing, and proteomics.
Dr. Leung is interested personalized medicine. He is interested in developing and using mass spectrometry to study an observed phenotype (ie. protein levels, protein post-translational modifications, and active drugs and/or its metabolites) and the corresponding genotype by next-generation sequencing. Combining genetic and phenotypic data enables a more comprehensive understanding of how individuals respond to certain therapies.
Selected Textbook Publications
- Leung EKY, Yeo KTJ. Case Study: Discordant urine hCG and plasma hCG results due to the “high-dose hook effect”. Submitted to American Society for Clinical Pathology, 2013.
- Leung EKY, Whitcomb E, Sargis R, Yeo KTJ. Case Study: Lipemic Interference Study Limitations illustrated with the Roche Elecsys Parathyroid Hormone Immunoassay. Submitted to American Society for Clinical Pathology, 2013.
- Leung EKY, Yi X, Gloria C, Yeo KTJ. Clinical evaluation of the QMS® Tacrolimus Immunoassay. Submitted to Clinica Chimica Acta, 2013
- Leung EKY, Sheu F YB, Lee C, Yeo KTJ. Method Comparison and Interference Studies on the Enterprise Point-of-Care (EPOC) Blood Analysis System for Blood Gas Electrolytes and Metabolites. Point of Care, 2013 (in press).
- Apuskin M, Das A, Joseph C, Leung EKY, Yeo KTJ, Baron JM, Baron BW. Reducing the risk of hyperammonemia from transfusion of stored red blood cells. Transfus Apher Sci, May 29th, 2013 (E-Pub).
- Leung EKY, Sen D. Electrical charge flow patterns through the RNA-cleaving 8-17 deoxyribozyme yield unusual information about its structure and folding. Chem Biol, 14, 1: 41-51, 2007.
- Feldman* AR, Leung* EKY, Bennet AJ, Sen D. The RNA-Cleaving Bipartite DNAzyme is a Distinctive Metalloenzyme. ChemBioChem, 7, 1: 98-105, 2006. (* Authors contributed equally)
- Leung EKY, Suslov N, Tuttle N, Sengupta R, Piccirilli JA. The Mechanism of Peptidyl Transfer Catalysis by the Ribosome. Annual Review of Biochemistry, 80, 2011.
- Leung EKY, Sen D. The use of charge flow and quenching (CFQ) to probe nucleic acid folds and folding. Methods, 52, 2: 141-149, 2010.